sub-interfaces are for fast-ethernet interfaces configured for VLANs (one
physical interface, many logical or virtual).

If possible, you should avoid secondary addressing.  I have seen networks
with up to 5 IP segments running on a single Ethernet interface (4
secondary addresses).  In my experience, performance is degraded with this
type of configuration.  You should also note that if you're intending on
using DHCP on the secondary address segment you will see that only the
primary addressed segment will work.  Let's take my previous example:

interface ethernet 0
  ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
  ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

The address the router (relay agent) puts in the DHCPDISCOVER giaddr field
is the PRIMARY address (in this case 10.1.1.1). The DHCP server will use
this to determine which scope (if any) to use in offering an ip address in
the DHCPOFFER message back to the client, so in this case it will use
10.1.1.0. A secondary address such as the 10.1.2.1 in the above
configuration will not be used. This means that you can configure the scope
for the secondary address range on the DHCP server but it will NOT be used
until 10.10.5.1 is configured as a primary.

HTH

Darren

P.S.  According to Cisco, you can define an unlimited number of secondary
addresses. Don't believe everything you read. 8^)  Check the following URL:

(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/ip_
c/ipcprt1/1cdipadr.htm#xtocid221563 )  Watch the rap.