>Howard,
>If you actually worked on a router in the real world
>rather than just tell people you do, you would know
>that Cisco has supported access-list remarks for some
>time now.

Well, first, if you read exactly what I wrote, it might be pertinent.
I wasn't saying specifically access-list remarks, or the description
command.  When I write protocol code in C, for example, I may very
well put a page of comments in with a particularly tricky routine.
I'm talking about large amounts of comments in the configuration
files.

There are operational routers in tier 1 providers today that have a
large sign on their consoles, "DO NOT SAVE TO NVRAM".  The reason for
this is that their exceptionally complex access lists, route maps,
quality of service commands, etc., result in configurations too large
to fit in NVRAM.  They _must_ be stored and loaded from TFTP servers.
Organizations like this have to be very careful about the use of
comments, even in loadable files.

>Oh I'm sure you're going to reply to this e-mail with
>some stupid story like, "This reminds me when I was
>talking to a developer at Apple about Mac OS 1.0 but I
>had never really worked on an Apple" or some worthless
>story like that.

Why, thank you! Perhaps I can call upon your services in future to
tell me what I will do in other matters, before I decide what I will
do.

>Also do us all a favor and quit cross posting from
>other mailing list. We don't want to see your replies
>to the juniper and ccie mailing list posts. Cross
>posting can be dangerous when you're on some of the
>list the you are on.... wink, wink ;-)

I'm afraid "the list the you are on" doesn't quite parse. I do not
routinely cross-post.

Presumably, you are using the editorial "we," and have reasons for
anonymous posting. I'm not ashamed to use my name on IETF, NANOG,
etc., lists, or on the RFCs and I-D's I've written with intense peer
review.

But thank you for bringing a bit of whimsy into a quiet day.