This is definitely something that we have a need for here.  We have
multiple locations with DSL backup links that terminate back here on an
ATM DS1.  Since these are backup links, without OAM I have no way of
knowing when there is a problem with one.  Qwest DSL support certainly
isn't going to call me and let me know!

So, I've enabled OAM and now get a nice syslog message when the link
goes down.  This allows me to get a quicker start on my one-hour phone
call with clueless tech support.  ;-)

John

>>> "Chuck Larrieu"  1/31/02 8:55:17 AM >>>
I'm asking because I don't know the real world answer, and don't have a
lot
of real world experience with ATM.

My reading is that OAM will shut down interfaces when the end to end
ATM PVC
fails. Can you explain this in a bit more detail. Is this something
you
really want to happen in real world? Wouldn't this complicate things
when
the link comes back up?

Chuck

""MADMAN""  wrote in message
> You need to enable OAM.  Simply under the PVC add on both end "oam
> enable"
>
>   Dave
>
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
> >
> > How can I detect an ATM link went down?
> >
> > Due to business reason, we are in a process to replace old Frame
Relay
> > connections with ATM connections. But when Carrier's ATM network
had
> problem
> > and one of the ATM link went down, the router interface attached to
it
> still
> > shows up up. For that reason the ISDN backup interface on the same
router
> > wouldn't automatically dial the remote end, and we couldn't meet
7x24
> > requirement.
> >
> > There was no such problem before switching to ATM. It works
perfectly
with
> > FR connections and ISDN DDR Backup. If there was a problem in one
of the
FR