I agree with everything said so far...what needs to change is the way
Microsoft, and now Cisco and most training providers and study guide
publishers advertise the IT industry as a way of making the 'big bucks' -
the only people making the big bucks are these guys. People looking for a
career change read the hype about how much money can be made becoming an
MCSE, CCNA etc so they take courses, study guides, practice exams - with no
experience - get the cert then all of a sudden the industry is flooded.

I'd like to see something like what Compaq does with the ASE - you can only
get the cert if you are working for a Compaq partner....this would really
cut down on the amount of paper certified people. A little heavy handed but
i think for the best in the long term - at least protects the integrity of
the certification industry and the industry in general.

""Guy""  wrote in message
> A CCIE With no work experience????
>
> I think most employers would shy away from that! A CCNP, or CCNA possible,
> but CCIE... Im not sure. That would be like a Brain surgeon with no work
> experience... WHat would you pay him to operate on your brain????
>
> Makes you think eh??? I think your best bet is to get a job as a CCNP or
> CCNA, get a year or two experience (Minimum) then worry about CCIE. Maybe
> work some other certs in there too, like Unix or maybe Microsoft or
> something to round you out a bit more and make some opportunities in the
> market for yourself... Or firewalls, and or something like tripwire etc...
>
> My point is, If you have a CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, and 50 other certifications
> behind your name, and no work experience, poeple are going to know you are
> good test taker, but you will still be starting off at the bottom. With a
> salary range of maybe 30-50k But that CCIE is not going to make it 100k no
> matter what your cousins brother or whatever told you. All the
> certifications are for is to take someone who has the experience, and
> skills, and gives them something they can use as proof of their expertise.
>
> It is not for an entry level person to get so they can get a higher start
> pay... All that does is cheapen the cert.
>
> Look at the MCSE. Back when I took my MCSE, that cert gave me credibility.
> walked out of every interview with an offer. I could make my own choices.
> took my MCSE after several years of workwith Net systems including Novell,
> IBM OS/2, and Microsoft. It was more of a proof of my skill set. Not a
proof
> I can read Brain Dumps, and hope I will do ok if someone gives me the
> chance...
>
> Now days you mention MCSE, and what goes through your mind??? Thats right
> Worthless.....
>
> Now why is that?
>
> Its because people with no skills heard of someone who became an MCSE, and
> started making 70k or whatever... Then that person decided,.... Hey, I can
> do that.... And found Transcenders etc... Became an M CSE, but cant even
> copy files to a floppy ....
>
> This happened on a large scale, and soon employers were hiring worthless
> MCSEs, and were getting frustrated...
>
> Now, in the IT industry, it has become a low level Cert... TO me that
ticks
> me off. Ive been an MCSE since 96, and mine is prrof of the pudding....
not