>Oh dear, but I have completely confused you.

Perhaps not. There is a danger in assuming that some feature in a
protocol design is there because of something incredibly subtle and
nuanced, when it really had to do with some technical or political
compromise.

>To be honest, the term "bit-synchronous" isn't very common. I couldn't find
>anything about it when searching with Google. I took it to mean
>"bit-oriented" which is a common term to refer to a protocol where control
>information is encoded using individual bits. If you search for that term
>in Google, you can learn a lot.
>
>Contrast it with a byte-oriented protocol (also known as a
>character-oriented protocol). With byte-oriented protocols, all control
information and data are encoded using entire bytes.

>Bisync is a specific character-oriented protocol developed by IBM. It's
>also known as BSC. I used to know it quite well, but it's been years since
>I used it. But the gist of it is that it sends characters to get the link
>up and keep it up. For example, it sends PAD and SYN characters. The other
>side sends ACKs (hopefully), or maybe NAKs or WACKs. Before sending, a side
>has to send an ENQ, if I recall. It's half-duplex. Each of these
>"characters" is one byte with a particular pattern of ones and zeroes.

BSC was probably the most common byte-oriented protocol. Others
include Burroughs Poll-Select, the synchronous version of Uniscope,
etc.  I wouldn't rule out still seeing these in a legacy financial
network, because the end terminals are old, stupid, and fully
amortized.

>Now for bit-oriented protocols such as SDLC, HDLC, etc. They start by
>sending one or more instances of the flag field, which is 0111110, then
>send an address, then the 8-bit or 16-bit Control field, as I mentioned
>before. Individual bits within the Control field have meaning. The info
>field follows, then FCS, then the ending flag. It's usually full duplex. A
>transmitter can send continuously, serially, one bit at a time. The other
>side takes in bits and figures out what's going on. It doesn't wait to
>receive an entire control character which it then needs to acknowledge.
>
>PPP's heritage is this bit-oriented world. So, it is sort of debatable, as
>Scott mentioned near the beginning of this discussion. But if you read my
>it's bit-oriented. All its fields are one byte long. Although it has a
>Control field due to its HDLC heritage, there's only one valid value for
>it. On the other hand, the recipient probably does synch up to the 01111110
>flag in some implementations, so that sort of makes it bit-oriented.

Now, we get into compromises.  At the time PPP was developed, there
were commercial chipsets for byte-oriented protocols. By
byte-aligning everything, these chipsets could be reused. I can't
remember what mailing list this was on, but this is straight from
Bill Simpson, the primary designer of PPP.

So PPP is conceptually a bit-oriented protocol implemented to work in
a byte-oriented environment.  There is some interest in having
non-bit-aligned protocols as alternatives to PPP over SONET, but I'm
not sure the few bits of saving are significant at 10 or 40 Gbps, or
compared with the ATM cell tax.

>At 11:26 AM 2/7/02, Steven A. Ridder wrote:
>>Just so I make sure I'm not lost, a bit-sync. protocol is one that has
>>predefined fields that signify SOF/delimiters/protocol type (like Ethernet)
>>and a bi-sync. protocol does not?
>
>You are totally lost. ;-) All protocols have fields. Are they processed in
>byte chunks (like Ethernet and BSC) or as a serial stream of bits like in
>HDLC?
>
>>   It just sends characters, and after a
>>predetermined number of bytes have been sent receives an ack of some sort
>>(L2).  Do bi-synch protocols have fields?
>
>IBM BSC has fields.
>
>>If a L2 protocols sends acks, does that make it a bi-synch protocol?
>
>No.
>
>>So, wouldn't PPP still be a bit-sync. protocol because of the fields it
does
>  >have fields (address, control, etc,.)?  Or am I confused.
>
>All protocols have fields. PPP is debatable due to its HDLC heritage but
>the design goal of its developers to make it simple, modern, easy to
>process, interoperable (it can even run on Ethernet these days) causes it
>to behave more like a byte-oriented protocol, although not like BSC.
>
>Sorry that I completely confused you. Here's some more tidbits to chew on!
>This will really get your brain creating new synapses in a mangled flurry.
>
>What is TCP? How is a SYN represented in TCP?
>
>What is HDLC? How is a GET represented in HDLC?
>
>What is FTP? How is a RETR represented in FTP?
>
>And how about Token Ring with its starting delimiter and ending delimiters?
>And how should one interpret the Ethernet preamble?
>
>Also, aren't all protocols at some level processed a bit at a time?
>
>This is bad as the 7-layer discussions! ;-)
>
>Priscilla
>

>>""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  > At 06:53 PM 2/6/02, s vermill wrote:
>>  >
>>  > >I wonder if you, and others, would comment on ppp as a
>character-oriented
>>  > >protocol.  I did a search on the internet and found some university
>>teaching
>>  > >papers that characterize synchronous ppp as character-oriented while
at
>>the
>>  > >same time acknowleging the fact that it is based on the
bit-synchronous
>>HDLC
>>  > >frame format.  I guess the LCP is the culprit?
>>  >
>>  > PPP has many components, including framing (encapsulation), LCP, and
NCP.
>>  > It's best to consider the components separately. The short answer to
your
>>  > question, though, is that all the components are character-oriented
>>  > (byte-oriented). In other words, they identify their operations with
>>entire
>>  > bytes, rather than using bits within bytes. And here's the long answer:
>>  >
>>  > PPP encapsulation is based on HDLC framing, except that PPP adds two
>bytes
>>  > for a Protocol field. The Protocol field is not a bit-oriented field.
The
>>  > two bytes are taken together to mean IP, AppleTalk, DECnet, etc.
>>  >
>>  > Also, the other fields in the PPP header, even though based on HDLC,
are
>>  > also not really bit-oriented because PPP doesn't do much compared to
>other
>>  > HDLC derivatives. (sort of like Cisco's HDLC which also doesn't do
much)
>>  >
>>  > Take the Control field, for example. In PPP, it's always a single byte
>>that
>>  > contains the binary sequence 00000011, which calls for transmission of
>>user
>>  > data in an unsequenced frame.
>>  >
>>  > Other HDLC-based protocols allow for a few different binary values for
>>this
>>  > field and, in fact, the field can be two bytes. These protocols can
send
>>  > Supervisory, Information (with sequence numbers), and Unnumbered
Frames.