That article taked about 1 problem, the problem almost every company had -
grabing too much land and equipment with no customers or sustainable
revenue.  But that's also the problem every dot-bomb had.  Thankfully the
buble burst, the madness ended and took out the garbage.  No company would
stay in business that way.  This dosen't mean that their services weren't
wanted.  Most every home who has a dial-up, most buisinesses that don't have
DSL in their area are still waiting for the right company/technology to come
by and at the right price.  There's still a pretty large demand for
high-speed internet.  Now we just have to wait for the right technology to
come by and offer good service at a good price.

There is also another problem that was just as bad - the market was flooded
with service providers.  There was WAY too much supply and only moderatre
demand.

I still see plenty of growth in this industry, even excluding the service
provider market.