Just a thought.
    Just as there is a glut of Fiber, I believe the market created a
glut of  Tech works. I remember going to a Technical School, and before
slapping down 15k for a networking Degree in 1998 (BTW, the school went
under a year ago http://clcx.com )  I heard numbers like "This industry
will be behind 500k Tech workers due to lack of Skill by 2004...Get the
skills now.... (paraphrasing)"
    Today I hear "man I really wanted to be a teacher, or be into
real-estate, or Digital Video Editing (all real cases), but I got into
this and was making so much $$...." People jumped into the band wagon
just like the Telecom Co's jumped into the Fiber Band Wagon. Most of the
time with good reasons. Now we have so much Fiber and Tech Skills. I
think this will be short lived (24 Months??? Thoughts, Comments...), but
I believe the $$ mongers will move on to the next $$ maker, and those of
us who love this field, will need to wait the shake out, and wait until
the Big Bean counters at Telco's, Carries, and such learn how to make
money while dong it with less. Perhaps the word "less" should be
replaced with "reasonable number of Tech Workers & realistic goals". I
know I am generalizing a bit, but think back a few years.
   I remember a friend working at a big Carrier (starts with "Q") making
100k. This dear friend got me into this Field. Now he paints houses. In
fact, the guy who sat next to me got Pink slipped on Friday (80k Job).
Today he starts painting houses by day, and selling insurance by night..
    The Fiber leasers/owners, Telco Equipment makers, and us all jumped
in. Now we (Tech Workers/Engineers) wait to see who gives up, moves on,
and who waits it out because the want to do this. Not to be a miser, but
I think this industry will be the last to recover economically.

-Kevin