the simple way to test this would be to set your workstation with some other
ISP's DNS address, and see how things go. In one of my posts I provided the
real IP of an active DNS server. Someone want to give it a try? or post one
that you know about. I'll be happy to test.

I wish the guy who posted the original question would get back to us with
his results.

Chuck

www.priscilla.com.
> Your server finally responds to your PC.
>
> Notice that the query to petiteisp.com came from some unexpected IP
address
> that can't be anticipated in a filter. If petiteisp.com had a filter to
> allow queries only from its customers, the query from your server would
> have failed.
>
> Did that make sense? ;-) How to bigger ISPs handle this? I suppose bigger
> ISPs have more than one DNS server, one for Internet access customers, and
> one that is the authority for names owned by the ISP.
>
> Priscilla
>
> >  This is fundamental to DNS security.
> >You need to rewrite the destination IP address.  Note that Cisco's NAT
> >is not suitable for this because of the DNS ALG.  The easiest thing to
> >do may be to provide an on-site cacheing DNS using the old ISPs DNS
> >addresses.  If you've got a lot of workstations and a decent bandwidth
> >to the Internet, you will probably find that running your own DNS cache
> >will be more satisfactory anyway.
> >rgds
> >Marc TXK
> >

> >Godswill HO wrote:
> > >
> > > You can still use your former ISP's DNS records while using the new
ISP's
> > > bandwidth. It does not matter who owns the DNS server. Everybody have
> >access
> > > to it once they are in the internet. Except when they are specifically
> > > filtered.
> > >
> > > The only drawn back is that, Your new ISP have to forward the packet
in a
> > > round trip to the old ISP's network through the internet before they
are
> > > resolved and sent back to you machine, had it been you are using the
DNS
> of
> > > your new ISP, these request would stop there. Do not loose your sleep,
> > > because at the worst these delays are in milisseconds and not easily
> > > noticeable by the eye, more each machine have a cache so it does not
> >forward
> > > every request. Great if you have a Cache Engine to compliment the
> machine's
> > > cache.
> > >
> > > Whatever, you are kool and everything will be fine, switch to your new
> ISP
> > > and enjoy.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> > > Oletu