From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 13:16
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DNS Request Redirection [7:35703]

hhmmm.....

as I understand the original question, each workstation in the network
in
question is hard coded for DNS.

So, if for example, my machine is hard coded for DNS server
207.126.96.162
( my ISP DNS server ) and I change ISP's, and make no changes to my
workstation, then any DNS request will have a destination address of
207.126.96.162

The question, as I understand, if how to change that destination address
without making workstation visits.

Policy routing can change next hop, but not destination address. NAT
outbound changes source address, not destination address.

Unless there is a packet interceptor that takes all DNS requests, and
physically changes the destination address, the user has few options.

Again, IF the former ISP does not restrict DNS requests to its own
address
space, i.e. accepts DNS requests from anywhere, then there is no
problem,
and no changes need be made.

However IF ( and this would be good practice for a lot of reasons ) the
former ISP does indeed restrict DNS requests to source addresses within
its
own space, then there will have to be additional changes on the user
network.

This whole discussion illustrates why people SHOULD follow best practice
from the get go. If they want to hard code IP's, then I believe DHCP can
be
configured so that it provides only DNS info and default gateway info,
for
example. the people who have insisted that their network hard code
everything are now learning the hard lesson.

Chuck