And to add one more point.... Filtering for queries just from root servers
wouldn't work either. It's not the root server that sends the query. The
root server responds to the requesting server with the address of the
authoritative server for a name. Then the requesting server asks the
authoritative server. So the queries come from all over the place, not just
from root servers.

It sounds like the filter would work to avoid just anyone using a caching
server, to avoid overuse of the server, for example. But it would be
impractical to filter queries to a server that is acting as the authority
for names.

There are probably entire Web sites devoted to the issues of DNS and
security. Someday I will have to look at them! ;-)

Priscilla

At 04:09 PM 2/18/02, Patrick Ramsey wrote:
> [...]
>
>-Patrick

>Yes, I can use that DNS server that you mentioned without any problem. I
>have my PC set to use it right now. And I know of others that anyone can
>use too, but I'm not going to give details in case they would not like this
>info to get out. ;-)
>
>Priscilla
>
>At 03:24 PM 2/18/02, Chuck wrote:
> >the simple way to test this would be to set your workstation with some
other
> >ISP's DNS address, and see how things go. In one of my posts I provided
the
> >real IP of an active DNS server. Someone want to give it a try? or post
one
> >that you know about. I'll be happy to test.
> >
> >I wish the guy who posted the original question would get back to us with
> >his results.
> >
> >Chuck
> >
> >""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > He wasn't asking about recursion. He was asking about the initial query
> > > from the end host. Although I could believe you that a service provider
> > > should make sure these queries only come from customers, my experience
is
> > > that service providers don't do this. I can set my PC to use a variety
of
> > > DNS servers around the Internet and it works.
> > >
> > > I think it's because it's tricky to do, especially for small ISPs. Some
> > > ISPs might have only one DNS server. The same server that provides DNS
> > > services to Internet-access customers may also be the authority for
> >various
> > > names managed by the ISP. The ISP may be doing Web hosting and be the
> > > authority for a bunch of names. In that case, it can't filter out DNS
> > > queries coming from the Internet.
> > >
> > > For example, say your PC asks your local DNS server to resolve
> > > www.priscilla.com. Your server can't do it. It asks its upstream
server,
> > > probably one of the root servers. The root server figures out that
> > > petiteisp.com owns www.priscilla.com and tells your server the IP
address
> > > of the authoritative name server at petiteisp.com. Your server queries
> > > petiteisp.com which gives your server the IP address for
> >www.priscilla.com.
> > > Your server finally responds to your PC.
> > >
> > > Notice that the query to petiteisp.com came from some unexpected IP
> >address
> > > that can't be anticipated in a filter. If petiteisp.com had a filter to
> > > allow queries only from its customers, the query from your server would
> > > have failed.
> > >
> > > Did that make sense? ;-) How to bigger ISPs handle this? I suppose
bigger
> > > ISPs have more than one DNS server, one for Internet access customers,
>and
> > > one that is the authority for names owned by the ISP.

transmitted with it may contain confidential and
>/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
>Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to
>whom addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
>privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
>If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
>hereby notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution
>or copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and
>may subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received
>this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then
>delete this email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com