From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Darrell Newcomb
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 6:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: what is wrong with the job market ? [7:35611]

nrf wrote:

> ""Chuck""  wrote in message
> > in the case of a number of the CLEC's, part of the problem was the old
> telco
> > monopoly that they had to fight.
>
> Maybe it was part of the problem, but not the whole problem.  True, the
> RBOC's were hindering the DSL CLEC's.  But that doesn't explain the
> financial failures of international network backbone providers (Global
> Crossing), the biggest cable-modem ISP (Excite@Home), or the biggest
hosting
> service (Exodus).  Or the downward spiral of many of the other big
> providers.
>
> Now you might say that all these companies made mistakes, and surely they
> did.  On the other hand, I believe it is the case that even if these
> companies had executed perfectly, they still would have failed, although I
> agree they would have lasted longer.  The biggest factor contributing to
> their decline is that the demand wasn't there to sustain them.  If there
had
> been as much demand as these providers thought there was, then I believe
> that most of these providers would be doing quite well, mistakes or no.

First it's nice to see folks from the trenches talking about these
things in public.

I totally agree that demand was less than projected.  This really beat
to hell the working capital management practices companies had
adopted.   A shortfall in demand in the short term wasn't a big deal as
that'd been happening throughout the boom.  It was the lack of access to
new capital so that there was time to build the demand.  The time
horizons for profitability on many of these firms was tightened by
several years.  Massive changes needed to take place to realize
that....we're watching that now along with a general economic recession.

Another factor that most large telecom builds have in common is the use
of debt(usually bonds) to fund the builds.  Given two equal providers;
one who has a significant debt/interest burden can't last nearly as
long.  We have seen much progress with providers dumping debt by
negotiating with bond holders.(At least the bond holders are getting
something now while they can)

These facts of telecom providers led to psuedo price wars with a big
downward spiral in prices.  Firms trying to survive dropped pricing
beyond sustainable levels to increase revenue, they have(are)
gone(going) out of business.  Their assets are being purchased at much
lower price points with the resulting providers able to offer services
much cheaper than the debt burdened providers.  I'm not going to
speculate here about how the telcos will pull out of this mess, but in
looking at this we can't ignore the tightened timeframe to profitability
higher interest payments from longterm debt aquired during the boom.

Darrell