It is absolutely true that there is a lot of laziness and incompetence
floating around the industry.  People don't want to take the time to really
learn the material, and that's a serious problem.

But I think Carroll Kong said it best when she alluded to the fact that this
kind of thing may be neither here nor there.  Specifically, what does it
really matter if you train and study hard if companies are just going to
indiscriminately lay you off  anyway?   Or even if you're well-trained and
educated and you still can't find anybody who wants to hire you?  While you
might take pride in the fact that you worked hard and gave it your 100%
effort, in the final analysis, you still don't have a job.