At 09:51 PM 2/18/02 -0500, Kevin St.Amour wrote:
>Just a thought.
>     Just as there is a glut of Fiber, I believe the market created a
>glut of  Tech works. I remember going to a Technical School, and before
>slapping down 15k for a networking Degree in 1998 (BTW, the school went
>under a year ago http://clcx.com )  I heard numbers like "This industry
>will be behind 500k Tech workers due to lack of Skill by 2004...Get the
>skills now.... (paraphrasing)"
>
>-Kevin

Do not know about you, but on average, most of the guys I see in the
industry are woefully inept and incompetent.  I am shocked they get paid
anything even close to the amount they do.  If one thing is for certain, we
definitely need BETTER guys out there.  However, it seems like, most
companies do not realize what good people are.  Such a disparity only helps
in the downturn.

What is sad is, instead of appreciating technical ability and learning
capacity, most companies are doing a fire sale and axing what few good
people they have.  While some of the incompetent upper management survive
due to nepotism and what not.

So, while I agree a downturn is occurring, I do NOT agree that there is an
"oversupply" of qualified individuals.  I would say 60-80% of the "IT"
people I meet are inadequate.

-Carroll Kong