I suppose the philosophical question is whether the CCIE a forward looking
or backward looking cert? I am under the impression that Cisco originally
geared the test around what a significant number of Cisco large customers
were running.

I'm sure there are still Vines networks around. I'm not sure if PG&E, for
example, ever got around to migrating away from Vines. Let alone Nature's
Conservancy. Hell, there might even be a few XNS networks out there
somewhere.

Especially now that the Lab format is one day, Cisco can't test for
everything. They have to focus.  So it becomes a matter of what's important.
Sooner or later ( and this will be bad news for most of us ) Cisco is also
going to have to migrate the Lab pods to more current equipment. Either that
or tacitly admit that a lot of the high end solutions they hawk are really
not all that important.

Another tack they might take is to create CCIE tracks for every specialty
that comes along - voice, WAN, QoS, wireless, VPN, etc.

But I'm not sure I agree that just because there are people out there
running obsolete technologies, that the CCIE Lab should test those
technologies. IBM now runs Linux on some of their mainframe products. Token
ring and DLSw are dying. The future is IP. Sure the legacy stuff will hang
on for a while yet. But seeing as CCIE skills are as much a marketing
strategy for Cisco as a resource for customers, I would think that older
technologies will have to yield their place in the lab for the new stuff
that Cisco counts on for future revenue.

Just my couple of cents.

Chuck

""David C Prall""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].;
> Steven,
> I don't know if it is outdated or not. I still have customers running
Vines,