Beware of Unicenter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Armstrong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 8:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cisco Devices in MS Active Directory [7:40095]

And to add to what William has written ...

The current package we're looking at to manage our network is Computer
Associates Unicenter. At it's core it's nothing more than another SNMP
tool;
however, it will integrate with about every company's software. With it
we
can drill through our network to the Cisco device we would like to work
on,
click it and CiscoWorks will open for that device. The same is true of
Bay
Networks, Cabletron and a host of other manufacturer's products
(servers,
etc.) as well.

You might take a look at their product line and HP Openviwe to give you
direction to go in. Here is the URL to CA's product:
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/SubSolution.asp?ID=2846

That should be at leat a good 15 minutes worth of reading  ;-)

""William Harrison""  wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> Let me add to what David has said well.  While Active Directory is
Microsoft
> Directory service and is based on industry standard X.500 and LDAP and
> Kerboros.  It is SNMP that is the only link between your Microsoft and
Cisco
> devices.  Therefore,  management at best is monitoring the whole
network.
> think you will find that programs, such as Ciscoworks, are written
because
> of the nature of business.  Every manufacture wants his product to be
> unique.  As far as SMS goes, it is capable of detection and monitor
any
snmp
> device.  The key would be the response to the monitoring.  SMS could
only
> notify you at certain alert levels.  This may be fine for your
purposes.

> As final thought,  consider your purposes and needs for management.  I
think
> that a combination of products is currently your best for full
management!

> Bill Harrison
> MCSE, CCNP
> Instructor

answers
all
> seem to be the same. Network management software can find devices via
> number of methods but all need the hardware vendor's specific
management
> software to adequately work with each company's devices. In the case
of
> Cisco that would of course be Cisco Works. I don't know yet whether
MS's
SMS
> software interfaces with CiscoWorks or not but it would certainly be
able
> manage it via Active Directory. There are several other companies that
have
> similar software that would integrate with Active Directory as well.
>
> Hope that helps some,
>
> David Armstrong
>
> ""Mann, Chris""  wrote in message
> > Can Cisco routers and switches be managed at all from with Microsoft
> > Active Directory, or some Active Directory snap-in? I tried looking
on
CCO