A point that might not have been adequately articulated thus far is as
follows:

Until the past couple of years, many CS programs had no mechanisms in place
to ensure that a graduate would be of better value to a corporation
requiring networking or troubleshooting skills than someone without a CS
degree. This is compounded by CS graduates who act as if they ARE better
qualified because they took many courses requiring them to develop code
within the confines of classical programming languages/environments while
avoiding curriculum that emphasized data communications like some manner of
biblical plague. Just as people are likely to generalize based upon
someone's level of education, they are equally likely to adopt inflexible
opinions based upon their exposure to someone who, although talented &
potentially capable of wielding superior cognitive firepower, is not
immediately useful, and in fact obstructive, due to their lack of exposure
to the business world, and their stubborn belief in their own infallability.

For the record, the characteristics I've pointed out are indicative of the
individuals involved, not their field of study. CS is just a natural target
for people who wish to behave this way.

An enlightened approach I've noticed is institutions who require that a
candidate have a degree-not necessarily in computer science-to apply for a
given networking/support (more-accurately: non-programming) position. This
approach seems to form a balanced approach to addressing both sets of
concerns.

Unless I'm missing something terribly obvious (and yes, I'm aware that that
phrase is somewhat [if not doubly] redundant). Feedback?