I think that everyone agrees that in order to pass the CCIE lab, you have to
spend a decent amount of time in a lab playing with scenarios and
technologies you might otherwise have never experienced in a real life
network, or experienced it so long ago that you don't have any where else to
test and learn it.   No matter who you are, you are going to have to get
"some" of your experience for the CCIE lab in a lab on your own, not a
production network.   Perhaps some people do get all of their experience in
a production network..or several production networks and I am not going to
dispute that, but it is certainly the exception, not the rule.

I think the problem here is with people who get "all" of their experience in
a lab network.   Today, it is possible to pass the CCIE written and lab with
little to no real world experience and that is not what the CCIE is about.
I can hardly fault someone who has the time, money and desire to sit down
and attempt the CCIE without much real world experience because I am seeing
more and more employers looking for entry to mid-level network engineers
with CCIE's required or highly desired.   I don't think that was the
original intent of the CCIE either.

The CISSP already does, or is going to require that you send your resume in
with your "application" to be a CISSP.   In fact, they audit them to make
sure that people aren't lying on their applications.   I don't claim to know
all the details of the CISSP certification process, but what would something
like this do for the CCIE program?  It appears to keep the CISSP relavent.
Does it really?