Thompson Alton wrote:

> Your comments are false and you sound very ignorant.
> I work with guys who have 20 years experience and to trouble shoot a
problem
> take months. This is because they don't know how the protocols work. How
> much money can a company afford to lose when production is downloading for
> considerable amount of time? That's why as a mangers? we send Engineers on
> training to learn about new and merging technologies. And that?s before you
> can put or do any upgrades to the production network you must first try it
> out in the lab.

An ideal scneario would be to pass the CCNP with production network
experience or at
least with plenty of lab experience from home/office labs and the Cisco
Academies that
are popping up all over the country. Moving to the CCIE, the ideal is pretty
much
production network plus home/office labs. If you're not working with routers
and
switches that are actually used in a production network, passing the CCIE is
not as
meaningful as it would be for those who have daily hands-on experience with
real design
and troubleshooting.

I've seen a goodly number of network administrators who are in positions of
power, but
who don't know even the basics of classful subnetting, VLSM, routing, L2 LAN
switching,
and VLANs. (Even some telco ATM techs who don't understand the difference
between
L2/LAN switches vs. VLAN switches, but that's a whole 'nother story in
itself). These
hands-on guys moved up from the ranks of network operating systems (NOSs),
usually
Novell, Unix and Windows. I respect their ability to handle a production
network but
it's a shame they won't listen to the young CCNAs and CCNPs who work for
them. They
(the old desktop/NOS guys who moved up to network management roles) couldn't
even
conceive of migrating their RIP networks to OSPF, but with the help of their
CCNx/CCDx
employees they could really do something good. It's the age-old problem of
control and
fear of the unknown.

-- TT