""Michael L. Williams""  wrote in message
> "Tom Scott"  wrote in message
> > I've seen a goodly number of network administrators who are in positions
> of
> > power, but
> > who don't know even the basics of classful subnetting, VLSM, routing, L2
> LAN
> > switching,
> > and VLANs. (Even some telco ATM techs who don't understand the
difference
> > between
> > L2/LAN switches vs. VLAN switches, but that's a whole 'nother story in
> > itself). These
> > hands-on guys moved up from the ranks of network operating systems
(NOSs),
> > usually
> > Novell, Unix and Windows. I respect their ability to handle a production
> > network but
> > it's a shame they won't listen to the young CCNAs and CCNPs who work for
> > them. They
> > (the old desktop/NOS guys who moved up to network management roles)
> couldn't
> > even
> > conceive of migrating their RIP networks to OSPF, but with the help of
> their
> > CCNx/CCDx
> > employees they could really do something good. It's the age-old problem
of
> > control and
> > fear of the unknown.
>
> I couldn't have said it better myself......  you really hit some key
points,
> especially about the people that moved their way up from desktop to NOS to
> network not trusting the CCNx/CCDx, not being able to fathom moving from
RIP
> to OSPF, etc.....

Well, on the other hand, surely you have also seen the flip-side of the
coin.  For example, I run into CCxx's who hold little experience but have
shut their ears to people who do hold more experience, under the guide that
'what he's telling me wasn't in the Cisco textbooks so it can't possibly be
true...'.  It too is often coupled with  feelings of insecurity - the paper-
CCxx guy feels nervous about his job and doesn't want to reveal to the other
guys on his team just how inexperienced he really is, so he never wants to
do any work in front of anybody else for fear of making a bonehead mistake,
etc. etc., and he never has anything meaningful to contribute during
meetings because he doesn't want to say something foolish.

The fact is, arrogance and insecurity cuts both ways.  Both sides (the
experienced guys and the inexperienced guys) are guilty from time to time.
And it's bad no matter who's doing it.