"Last but certainly not least, how many mainframe guys know IP networking.
You provide
me a list?Answer is very few. "

Not where I work.
I know and have worked with quite a few "mainframe guys" (and at least one
extremely knowledgeable mainframe gal - although I'm not sure she'd
appreciate the term) who are also quite comfortable with IP (i.e. to CCNP
level at least, although they don't all have the certs).  ALL of the
mainframe comms people I work with, and probably all of the mainframe OS
people as well, have at least a basic understanding of IP networking.
After all, these days mainframes run IP.  The mainframe world hasn't stood
still over the last twenty years, any more than the IP world, and anyone
with ten year old mainframe experience is likely to be lost in a current
mainframe environment.

I'd be quite happy about somebody with twenty years network experience -
or 3 months, for that matter - applying a network change without first lab
testing - *in certain circumstances*.  I have done it myself several
times, because in those particular situations, testing in a lab
environment wasn't feasible and wouldn't have picked up the most likely
problems anyway.

What I *wouldn't* be happy about would be somebody (of any experience
level) doing so if they hadn't had their plans and design well checked,
hadn't weighed up the risks, couldn't say what their post-install checks
would be, what their monitoring plans were, and what their contingency
plans were.

In my opinion common sense beats both certs and experience hands down, and
fortunately none of them are mutually exclusive.  Pity common sense isn't
easily tested for (and anyway, even the most sensible people tend to have
"what the hell did I do that for" episodes occasionally).

JMcL

Important:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or subject
to legal or parliamentary privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by several
Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have received this communication in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission together with any attachments.