Amen to that.  Humility is called for on both sides.

Apparently I've been tagged around here as the 'King Experience' guy.   The
very ironic thing is that on another message board, I was the person who was
arguing that experience was NOT as important as other posters had indicated
(this was an experience vs. college degree argument).  Basically it boiled
down to the fact that while experience is indeed extremely valuable,
particularly nowadays, even experience can sometimes be taken too far.  For
example, one guy said that experience always wins no matter what (which is
patently false), so I gave him the example of 2 guys, whereas both guys had
good experience, but the first guy had stellar degrees from the most famous
schools, all kinds of certs, a killer personality, and everything else,
whereas the second guy had none of that (besides the experience ), but he
had a day's more experience.  Hey, if experience really beat everything all
the time, then companies should always pick the second guy, because after
all, he had more experience (one additional day).   Clearly this is false.

My point is simply this.  Experience, education, certs, work attitude, etc.
etc., they all form your suite of qualifications.  None of them should be
pursued at the exclusion of all others.  In fact, the best strategy seems to
be to work on your weaknesses.  For example, if you have lots of certs and
education, but no experience, then get experience.  Conversely, if you have
lots of experience, but no certs and no education, then go get certs and
education.