wow.

(attention G-S moderators: I know you always hoped I'd be at a loss for
words at some point. Nota Bene: this post came closer than most. I apologize
for the tease)

please note that I'm using this thread in a vain hope to render dormant all
sub-threads.

I say wow, partially because where purely non-tangible matters are
concerned, I usually applaud extreme tactics, but in this case I'm
profoundly stumped. Paul Feyerabend is certainly one of my favorite
non-fiction authors, but even he wielded reason against itself. I'm
impressed (and I'm not often impressed by how/the-manner-in-which/ people
think-or at least pretend to), but this post raised the stakes a bit, albeit
unwittingly, refuting reason BY EXAMPLE, therefore providing the only
potentially compelling counterargument to the modification of the subject
line wherein the string "Logic" suddenly plays a part..

taxomonical breakdown:

2 questions contrasted with the output of a 3rd, whereupon the outcome
solves nothing, and the group of two bear a tenuous relation to the third.

The 4th question is profoundly subject to the whims of fortune, temporality,
and the instincts of the poor fellow who would dare use the "L" word on this
newsgroup: based upon the past couple of hundred years of western
civilization or so, I'd say that the intended target has a better chance
than most, especially if he is allowed to draw upon past experience.

Question 5 ignores the public record on the subject, and improperly
contrasts the potential answers of the first set with it's own solution
space.

Whether or not someone remembers cretaceous technologies they have worked
with does not provide a useful predictive measure of their ability to adapt
to change or assimilate new technologies and their nuances.

I'm not sure where the equation between familiarity with the specifics of
predecessor technologies and the practice of perpetuating their continued
usage came from, but certainly not from a sample size relevant enough to
settle this issue.

I'm going to skip a bit, because my potential point of insight has not been
posted by anyone else as best my time-warner internet access point can
reveal.

Taking us to the matter of appreciation: I'm not sure this admonishment is
best directed at someone who provides materials whereby individuals may
study and aspire to be the best, since

A) his materials are profoundly superior to many other competitive products
B) he offers advice from a career marked by a profound lack of stagnation
and a level of maintaining familiarity with emerging standards so extreme
that he would up participating in the development process itself for various
extant standards.

Since your observations don't match the public record, and since the past
100 years of USA public schooling and the profession of psychology have
profoundly failed humanity, I'll not directly address the last comment
except to note that the noun is undescriptive at best.

To address the previous replies:

Peter had excellent insight & wording, but just in case his analysis is not
100% correct (as in, what if he did NOT lose a job to such an individual),
I offer mine in order to force the available quibble space to converge to 0.

Tomas Larus elagantly outlines the issues which concern me.

Ms. McLeod adroitly points out the balance between no testing & too much of
the same.

Adam Lee re-emphasizes the ongoing need for support of the technologies
dismissed out-of-hand by the original poster.

Priscilla provides factual clarification & some fundamental insight.

nrf posts a call for balance as a strategy for intellectual succes in this
industry that binds us. His subsequent posts come the closest to a better
way.

in all cases, the matter boils down to this: your cognitive dualism won't
stand.

to abruptly divide the world between experienced, stubborn, older folk
unfamiliar with the past 7 years of digital computing research, and newly
matriculated folk who lack any exposure to large scale implementations of
the technologies they would purpport to support, is to reduce yourself to
the level of performance that many HR times are unjustly relegated to
(DISCLAIMER: I'm aware of the cases where this is justified . . .).

As the SLJ character in pulp fiction might start it out, THE TRUTH IS, the
one common characteristic people afraid of new things, incapable of testing,
and unfriendly to new ideas have is precisely the following:

the characteristics I just described.

Sure, there exist seasoned veterans who never learned to troubleshoot and
can't handle changing LAN topologies any better than they manage their
waning vitality.

However, there also exist individuals straight out of "accredited" programs
who know all kinds of nuances regarding C programming & assembler theory.
They coast through college complete and fulfilled based upon the realization
that this background COMPLETELY prepares them for desktop, server AND
network/intermediate systems support. these individuals are typically
roughly empirically indistinguishable from the sort you rail against, except
for their current career position and related temporal factors.

2 assertions here:

#1Two categories might not be enough to invoke when attempting to
intelligently characterize the behaviour of the creatures who occupy the
continum between lab-rat-wanna-be & digital network architecting deity.

hence, the failure of my special friend, the overwhelming human tendency to
simplify & break issues up into dichotomous compare & contrast sessions..

#2 A quality such as "he worked with the same exact fellers I'm branding as
inflexible. therefer, he's inflexible tooo!" is not exactly compelling
enough to generalize across millions of people, as your post requires in
order to achieve coherency.

The evils of oversimplifying matters into two possible outcomes when the
truth violently contrasts with that model are part of our shared heritage,
but our industry, where most ideas are at best a few decades old and
profoundly run the risk of being empirically underexplored, is especially
susceptible to oversimplifications, giving rise to many of the
publically-aired disputes recorded in the newsgroup archives.

To behave by lending legitimacy to these oversimplifications is to render
yourself guilty of the behavior you condemn.