> At 03:56 PM 5/21/02, Thompson Alton wrote:
> >Do you remember Mainframe systems???
>
> Yes. (And if you were asking Howard, the answer is emphatically YES ;-)

HeHe! Heck I was doing some file transfer troubleshooting on a Mainframe
towards the end of last year, I got elected because I knew the switches,
routers, lan/wan protocols, sniffers, nethealth, openview and somehow I
recalled some of the MVS things I did 15 years ago. The mainframe people on
both sides of the circuit were blaming it on the network, and our main MVS
guy was going on vacation for a couple of weeks. I was able to prove that it
was an MVS application problem.

The main point here is that there is a heck of a lot more to think about
when running a network than to worry about what the cisco equipment is
doing.

> >Do you remember LU and PU and logic
> >controllers??
>
> Yes.
>
> >Do they all work the same as IP networks or VOIP and IP
> >telephony networks?
>
> Yes, pretty much. Networking 30, 20, 10 years ago dealt with the same
stuff
> we're still dealing with today:
>
> layers
> cables
> wireless (not as much as there is now, but definitely some)
> circuits (both virtual and real)
> connectionless versus connection-oriented
> reliability versus low overhead
> connection establishment and teardown
> flow control
> windowing
> packetization
> signaling
> error detection
> error correction
> ACKs and NACKs and WAKs (WAKs kind of fell out of favor)
> dynamic and static addressing
> dynamic and static routing
> pesky users
> security (although the old-timers should have done better with this ;-)
> network management
> transferring files and other data
> database lookups
>
> You get the picture.

So Pricilla are you saying that there are more than 7 layers in the protocol
stack?

Mike Mandulak
NCIA (not certified in anything ;-)