He said the router is acting as a translation (sic) bridge. So the router
(bridge) address does not come into play. The router (bridge) translates
the non-canonical TR address to a canonical Ethernet address. The bridge
reverses the bits in each byte of the address.

We have had many discussions on how to do this. It's as simple as writing
your name backwards. For example, let's say one byte was 4A in hex.

Put that in binary, one digit at a time.

   4    A
0100 1010

Now write it backwards:

0101 0010

Put it back in hex:

52

If this seems mysterious or difficult to apply in a generic fashion to any
hex representation of a byte, then it's not time yet to go for CCIE.

Priscilla

At 08:20 AM 5/23/02, C restion wrote:
>Hi Ivan,
>
>Mac addresses only have local significance. So for your scenario, host X
>sends a packet with it's own MAC address as the source and the router TR
>interface as the destination MAC address. The router then rebuilds the
>packet and sends it out the ethernet interface with the Ethernet interface
>as the source MAc address and host Y as the destination MAC address.
>
>Hth,
>Crestion

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com