I just noticed that I misplaced the functional/non-functional bit. I hate
that! ;-)

The functional/non-functional bit is the most significant bit of the 3rd
byte (not the least significant bit of the 2nd byte as I said before.)

So, the address is:

4000.a089.0002

01000000 00000000 10100000 ...

First bit transmitted (most significant of 1st byte) is 0 (specific)
Second bit transmitted is 1 (locally-administered)
Most significant bit of the third byte is 1 (non-functional)

That makes more sense now that I see he was referring to a source address.
A source address shouldn't be a functional address.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com