Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Well, maybe I overstated it a bit. ;-) My main complaint about the debug
> commands is that the output is too cryptic. Also, some of them were clearly
> designed for the Cisco developers not for the end user of the router
> (network admin, engineer). The information they provide is simply not
> helpful.
>
> Inserting a sniffer can definitely be a pain on a WAN, on the other hand.
> Plus WAN sniffers are terribly expensive. Actually inserting a sniffer is
> more of a pain than it used to be on LANs too. But at least the result is a
> plain-language decode of every packet.
>
> By the way, do you remember which EIGRP debug commands you used and how
> they helped solve the problem? That might be helpful info for us (if you
> have time to explain, no biggie if you don't.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Priscilla

  Actually I used debug eigrp packet found a couple of neighbors were
bouncing eratically which I had also noticed in the ip routing table.  I
tried pinging these neighbors and was loosing many packets, this is over
a 100M ethernet.  Since this customer mentioned that they had done some
work on a Microsoft server including adding a second interface (arghhh)
I had a good suspect.  Since I have seen in the past multiinterfaced
servers do wierd things like foward multicast packets I suspected a
possible routing loop.  I enabled debug ip icmp and basically crashed
the MSFC.  It was sooooo busy spewing out ICMP TTL expired messages that
caused the CPU to hit 99% and the router was not able to maintain it's
routing functions etc...  I asked the customer to grab the server guy
and have him shut down the second interface, problem solved.

  The IP ICMP debug was really the helper here but the point is I was
able to find the problem using debug, I'm 300 miles from this customer,
much more quickly than finding someone locally who could drive a sniffer
and read/email the output.  I admit crashing the router was not good but
"normally" a ip icmp debug will not do that hence I say use any debug
with some caution and customer warning, this may be hazardous to your
network!!

  Dave

David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer
CCIE# 2016
Qwest Communications Int. Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
612-664-3367

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"