It's interesting that by quickly perusing the thread one that one could
infer an equation of troubleshooting tool with "device capable of revealing
the content of packets sent across the transmission medium."

I'd have to agree that making that sort of data readily available to those
stuck bet is not the Cisco router family's /IOS' strong point.

I'd have to note that this is somewhat vendor specific. Nortel routers not
currently serving as dust epicenters in technology museums ARE, to some
extent, packet sniffers (via pcap), but then again, since they didn't
deliberately assemble the most underpowered microprocessor-based boxes they
could get away with, the difference approaches understandability.

I'd have to concur that having packet captures available is my first choice
as far as implements of troubleshooting are concerned (it's amazing what a
dedicated sniffer pc at a remote workstation can do to reduce the number of
sleepless nights spent on seemingly intractable problems).

I'd have to say that I've recently come to regard snmp-enabled CSU/DSU's as
a reasonable substitute for overpriced, media-specific inline WAN packet
capturing tools.

Certain debug argument hierarchies, for example those associated with ppp &
ospf, DO give enough header information to solve some problems such as mtu
negotiation mismatches.