Really?   So I shouldn't being doing a "show mem" and looking at the data
contained in specific memory addresses labeled *packet data* to turn my
router into a sniffer? :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 1:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Provider Backbone Engineering and CCIEs [7:44876]

At 07:32 AM 5/24/02, dre wrote:
>  Cisco router to solve any problem, even those that shouldn't be solved
>with
>a router!

And how about all the people who try to turn the router into a
troubleshooting tool? You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to
convince people that the debug commands aren't a replacement for a sniffer.
Not only are there issues with eating CPU resources to display the debug
info, but a lot of the commands don't show packets (which they shouldn't).
Also, regardless of whether they show events or packets, they don't display
the information in English (in many cases). In fact, many of the debug
commands were written to help Cisco software and hardware developers do
some debugging on flaky code/hardware. They weren't written to help a
network administrator or engineer.

I know this is a tangent from the real discussion, but I just wanted to
make that additional point about a Cisco router not being the solution to
every problem.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com