At 3:34 AM -0400 5/25/02, Kevin Cullimore wrote:
>INS. Gobbled up by lucent during the somewhat less-than-rational corporate
>atmosphere that reigned supreme not so long ago. I did not mean to imply
>that he jumped ship from one to another, merely that he went from an
>organization most directly in competition with Cisco's professional services
>division to what turned out to be Cisco's most fierce short-term competitor
>for the devices we obsess over. His sustained focus on cisco-specific
>implementation of routing technologies is readily perceived as a conflict of
>interest if he's not directly charged with competitive endeavors.

Sometimes it seems like you just can't win. First, I know Jeff and
he's an honorable guy (for the occasional would-be sniper on the
list, go look at the acknowledgements in Vol. I of Doyle).

Jeff is/was a CCIE and CCSI. There's the perception of conflict of
interest because he works for Juniper.  As I said, I avoided taking
the CCIE exam because I was worried about appearance of conflict of
interest.  Doesn't seem like either works, does it?

An observation about the carrier market in which Jeff and I play:  as
opposed to many enterprises, the customers WANT multiple vendors, to
avoid single points of failure, and to give them leverage with
vendors.  The market reality would be that a Juniper person HAS to
stay current with Cisco because they will need to interoperate with
them.

Second, there is movement among the major vendors.  Many of Juniper's
key engineers came from Cisco and still have friends there.

Third, outside the sales arena, there is a great deal of engineering
cooperation. In my own direct experience, I'm the lead author on a
couple of IETF BGP benchmarking drafts, but  my coauthors are from
Cisco, Juniper, NextHop, and Nortel. Every one has shared details of
their implementations, in an honest attempt to come up with a design
that's fairest to everyone.

For example, there are implementation-specific ways to send updates
to a BGP router (send all prefixes of a given length together, send
the least-specific followed by all more-specifics, etc.) that will
make a particular router converge the fastest.  What the team has
been doing is coming up with a randomized test stream that is equally
fair to all implementations.