NRF,
Thanks for posting what's on my mind.
THE reason for my original post was not to belittle the value of
experience in relation to certifications, but to raise the awareness
of the public in general about the insult that certified people have
to endure from "more certifiable" individuals who themselves
don't have the guts to go and take the test, which should be a
walk in the park for them, and get certified as well.
What's really sad about it is that these individuals seem to have
forgotten how they started in this profession. When i left my job
as an engineer responsible for one of the Navy's bases, I recommended
to my boss to hire this "newbie" (not even a lab rat as he had NO
lab equipments to play with, not even a router simulator) because
I knew that he was smart enough to apply his knowledge based
on all the things he had to study to get his certs. All he needed was
a mentor to get started. And that's what I did, although I only had less
than two weeks to show him the ropes. I did it because I owe much more
to people who have been kind to me in the past. As Howard said,
pay it forward. My own version of it is, "Good works is all you can take
with you when your time is up!" The beautiful laurel with your number
will have to be left behind like everything else.

Last of all, there are two ways to gain experience.
1) By true physical,emotional,psych experience.
2) By VICARIOUS experience.

The second is the main difference between us humans and the other species
because this allows us to pass on our experience so others behind us
don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thus it is the duty of the recepients to
refine the wheel, which then leads to progress.
Again this also follows another virtue in life, which is that of GIVING.

I'll end this post with this...
"Since when are you less by giving?"

Regards,
Elmer