One comment inline:

nrf said:
>So while yes, I agree that Cisco and the CCIE will probably get better, if
>you think we're going to have 1999 all over again, you're just deluding
>yourself.  The world has changed,  and people will simply have to admit that
>when it comes to the value of tech skills, Cisco's best days are in its
>past, and people should be looking at other skills if they want to remain on
>the forefront of what is considered valuable.

pvo replied:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned value.  Having an
employee with a CCIE designation tangibly only helps those VAR's who can
achieve a higher partner status by virtue of it - and thereby receive
deeper direct purchasing discounts.  Of course, the nature of channel sales
renders this moot in my opinion as % discounts are very often manipulated
to suit the needs of the Cisco sales team. On the intangible side, it's
more of a marketing play.  Customers may be more likely to buy from a VAR
who has more certified folks than one who doesn't.  However, sales tactics,
relationships and history tend to balance this.

For the enterprise customer hiring for internal support, the CCIE has no
particular tangible value whatsoever beyond possibly saving some dollars on
the hiring end by speeding the first cut of resumes.  However, this has the
downside of missing good, non vendor certified candidates while at the same
time short listing a group of folks who tend to look for higher
compensation packages as a rule.  I personally don't think there is an
intangible upside to the CCIE for enterprise customers.  Good engineers are
good engineers.  If you do the proper diligence and hire the right ones,
you'll likely be satisfied.  Also, given the blind faith many recruiting
firms have in the CCIE designation, these enterprise customers are likely
to face a higher probability of turnover in their CCIE certified staff than
otherwise.

I don't mean to say that the CCIE itself isn't a worthy endeavor, and
indeed for the most part I feel strongly the opposite, however, I think you
need to think about it in the right context.  When sourcing employment, or
selling in general for that matter, you need to clearly understand what
tangible and intangible value you bring to the prospective
customer/employer such that you can properly position yourself and justify
the expenses related to bringing you onboard.  With the market as tight as
it is now, the focus is clearly on tangible value and those candidates who
come to the table with a clear understanding of the return their employer
can expect to obtain for the investment will be in a significantly better
position that those who simply assume the are worth X dollars based on XXXX
numbers.

Pete