If you look at Cisco over the last 18 months compared to it's competitors it
has done well. It's sales have dropped much less then most other networking
companies and they have actually gained market share in all major areas. The
major telco's built out way too fast and the growth did not come like they
expected. But on the enterprise side companies took it a lot slower. This
economy is starting a slow recovery. Next year things will pick up. It will
never be like 1999 as you say, but we will get back to the point where there
will be plenty of jobs.

A CCIE is still the highest networking cert and the only one that is not a
paper cert. We have seen a lot more numbers comming out these days, but
Cisco doubled the number of lab seats in San Jose and RTP back in March. Add
to that the one day lab and Sat and Sun testing and there are a lot more
people taking the test. Cisco keeps track of the passing percent and will
adjust the challenge of the lab if necessary. The other thing is we probably
will see major changes in the lab before the end of the year. When they get
rid of token ring who knows what goodies they will replace it with. It will
take a while for the boot camps to adjust their programs to the new topics
and the candidates that take the self study route will be searching for ways
to cover the new material. There will be a big slow down for a while at that
point.

I guess my point is I do not see the value of the CCIE going the way of the
microsoft certs. Thing will get better next year and the demand for CCIE's
will raise.