At 06:20 PM 7/2/02, Michael Williams wrote:
>The two PCs I'm experienting with are using hard-coded IPs, however the
>results are the same with a DHCP machine.  Portfast is indeed enabled (A
>while ago, I learned the hard way about spanning-tree and DHCP/Novell).
>
>Well, and I find myself trying to get more into the Novell process to
>understand where the breakdown could be happening.  I know when the PC
>boots, it does a GNS and I also know routers will keep a GNS table

Routers keep a Service Advertising Protocol (SAP) table. Does the 5513 show
the servers in its SAP table? What does show ipx servers display? (That's
how you look at the SAP table.)

>and can
>respond to the GNS requests, but in this case the PCs are in the same VLAN
>with the Novell servers.  The Cisco TAC Engr said that if there are Type 4
>servers in the subnet (or on that ethernet segment) that the router won't
>respond to the GNS requests.
>
>I connected a sniffer and when the PC boots you see 4 GNS requests go out
>and never a single response.

Can you put a Sniffer on the other side of the 5513 where the servers
reside? Or is there some sort of troubleshooting that you can do on the
server to determine if the GNS really made it to the server? It sure seems
like the router is neither responding NOR forwarding the GNS to the servers!

Does the router know about the servers? (What does show ipx servers display?)

>  Strange since it's in the same VLAN with 30+
>Novell servers!!  Like I said tho, the strangest part is that if I connect
>the PC to VLAN1 on 6509A (which would have to be L2 switched over 6509B
>which would then L2 switch over to the 5513 where the Novell servers are
>physically connected) it works like it should.

Who responds? The router or one of the servers?

Are you absolutely sure that the PC on 6509B is connected to a port in
VLAN1? Can you move it to a different port? It seems like it's on a messed
up port.

But then again, you said the Dell works on that same port.

>I've dug around on Novell's website, and found a document saying that not
>only Spanning Tree, but also Trunk negotiation (which is 'auto' by default)
>and PAgP (which is only active if you have the link set as a member of an
>etherchannel, so it doesn't apply here) can all interfere with Novell's
>login process.

Yes, definitely turn all this off on the port that connects the PC. They
make the port take a long time to start forwarding.

I can see why this is driving you nuts!

I think we can help more if you tell us more about the results of show
commands on the 5513 and its IPX config.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Priscilla

>Again, thanks for your comments, and keep 'em coming...
>
>Mike W.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com