Mike

Just a thought, but have you tried setting a gns-response-delay on your
router.  From what I remember reading in my support exam study (I have NO
ipx experience), this can be used to "compensate for the slow CPU or
network adapter card of the client, which would otherwise miss a quicker
response".

It just seems from your other emails that this may match your symptoms and
perhaps the difference between connecting to switch a vs switch b is just a
tiny bit of latency that is enough to allow the old machines / cards to get
the response.

Like I said, I have no IPX experience and this is just a shot in the dark
based on something I remember reading.

Regards

        Peter