Whether the first area is 0 is not the point.

RFC design AREA 0 is only for inter-area (please remember this) traffic.
So why we need AREA 0 when we had only one area?

If u believe in Jeff Doylee, check his 'Routing TCP/IP volume 1' on
Page 313. And I had copy one paragraph from this page as follow:

"Figure 9.61 shows an OSPF internetwork. Note that each area has an assigned
IP address from which its
subnets are derived. Limiting an area to a single address or subnet is not
necessary, but doing so has
significant advantages, as will be seen in a later case study on address
summarization. Note also that this
example is designed to demonstrate the configuration of multiple areas. In
"real life," it would be much
wiser to put such a small internetwork within a single area. Further, that
single area does not have to be
area 0. The rule is that all areas must connect to the backbone; therefore,
a backbone area is needed only
if there is more than one area."

See the last sentence? "a backbone area is needed only if there is more
than one area." So just let us stop the quarreling on backbone:)

I am 'paper' only because I had no time to practise:(