Buggy/unreliable software is indeed the same anywhere.  But when combined
with buggy/unreliable OS's, now we're talking about a solution that is
REALLY buggy and unreliable.  For example, if your software is only
guaranteed to run at 3 9's, and your OS is also only guaranteed to run at 3
9's, then overall we're talking about a less-than-3-9's of a solution.

You can actually run packetized voice very reliably, and not just for toll
bypass (although it is definitely true that toll-bypass  is the easiest and
most mature kind of packetized voice to do).  The key is that you have to
design things in  a certain way to maximize your reliability.  Many carriers
like SBC use packetized voice with soft-switch signalling in certain parts
of their network, and then you have packetized voice wholesalers like Ibasis
that have massive available voice capacity and a good reputation for
reliability.  There was a huge amount of serious talk after 9-11 for Verizon
and other carriers to contract for backup voice capacity through somebody
like Ibasis in case their voice switches got destroyed again - as during
9-11, people saw that while traditional voice service was severely affected,
packet networks like the Internet were still functioning, so in these kinds
of circumstances, you could say that packetized voice might actually be more
reliable than regular voice.    But again, it takes very careful design to
achieve this kind of reliability.

""Chuck""  wrote in message
> sure. ok. agreed.
>
> OTOH, buggy / unreliable software is the same, no matter whose platform it
> runs on. A long time ago in a galaxy far away I was able to successfully
> crash Sun Unix boxes several times through sheer ignorance. one was in the
> Sun Sys Admin training class I was taking, the rest were Sun boxes that
Big
> Brokerage Firm had installed in the office where I worked. Proof that
there
> ain't no such thing as "foolproof" because this here fool can break just
> about anything ;->
>
> BTW, you have just ht on the major reason for NOT doing packetized voice.
Or