Actually in the case of 9-11 if your internet was still working it was
because your data connection went through a Central office that was not
affected by the 9-11 incident.  Keep in mind that data and traditional
voice still ride for the most part the same carrier services.  Our
company lost several customers data connectivity due to the 9-11
incident.  Incidentally the connectivity loss occured about a week after
the buildings dropped when Sprints backup generators at the Manahtten CO
failes due to the long term load.  We also lost a major connection to
one of our service providers that just happened to run out of the WTC.
Fortunatly in that case we had two redundant connections in other parts
of the country.

So saying that the internet was up when the voice channels weren't would
be a big over statement.  Voice was up for the whole rest of the country
and so was the internet.  Unless you happened to live on Manhatten and
didn't have backup power and a satellite connection.

-Geoff

nrf wrote:
> Buggy/unreliable software is indeed the same anywhere.  But when combined
> with buggy/unreliable OS's, now we're talking about a solution that is
> REALLY buggy and unreliable.  For example, if your software is only
> guaranteed to run at 3 9's, and your OS is also only guaranteed to run at 3
> 9's, then overall we're talking about a less-than-3-9's of a solution.
>
> You can actually run packetized voice very reliably, and not just for toll
> bypass (although it is definitely true that toll-bypass  is the easiest and
> most mature kind of packetized voice to do).  The key is that you have to
> design things in  a certain way to maximize your reliability.  Many
carriers
> like SBC use packetized voice with soft-switch signalling in certain parts
> of their network, and then you have packetized voice wholesalers like
Ibasis
> that have massive available voice capacity and a good reputation for
> reliability.  There was a huge amount of serious talk after 9-11 for
Verizon