Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Some processing supposedly should take place without causing a CPU
> interrupt. For example, fast switching, if you can believe some
> descriptions, doesn't interrupt the CPU.
>
> Perhaps a high usage consumed by interrupts implies that a lot of traffic
> isn't being fast switched (or express forwarded).
>
> I can't say for sure though.

IIRC, it's exactly the other way around. CPU used within interrrupts is
traffic being fastswitched, where the entire packet I/O is done in the
interrupt handlers.

Process switching lots of traffic would show up as the 'IP Input'
(assuming it's IP traffic) process eating lots of CPU.

(Perhaps I should re-read 'Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture'...)

                Regards,

                        Marco.