It appears from further research that both process and fast switching
interrupt the CPU. The difference is that with process switching, during the
interrupt, the CPU determines the type of packet and copies it into
processor memory if necessary (this decision is platform dependent).
Finally, the processor places the packet on the appropriate process' input
queue and the interrupt is released.

The next time the scheduler runs, it notes the packet in the input queue of
ip_input (assuming it was an IP packet), and schedules this process to run.

With fast switching, the CPU is interrupted, and the packet is actually
switched at that time.

This is according to the article here:

There's also more info in this article:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/queue_drops.html

However, I wasn't able to glean an answer to the original question about the
second part of the statisitic when you do a show interface. Do you think the
second part (the interrupt part) is just refering to the second situation
(switching the packet during the CPU interrupt)?

Perhaps that book you mentioned answers the question. Thanks.

Priscilla