The following is cut from a post to the list by Terry Slattery. It was in
answer to a similar question. In it he does not identify CCIE# 1025. I seem
to remember another post where he does provide a name for #1025. I'll
continue searching for it.
snip
The folks here at Chesapeake forwarded the following discussion to me.

The first lab was numbered 1024 as kind of a "secret handshake", by the
first CCIE program
administrator, whose name I remember as Scott Edwards.  Scott left Cisco
several years ago.

The first CCIE (another Scott, but I don't recall his last name), proctored
the first lab.  He spent
the entire weekend prior to the test preparing scenarios and cables (good
and bad ones).  These were
the days of the AGS+, where to do a DCE device, you had to select the
correct applique and set the
clock jumpers on the interface card.  It was an interesting exam! It was a
nice mix of hardware and
software tasks.  Kinda fun, actually.  I sent Scott running around quite a
lot go gather docs that I
needed (remember, no CD in those days) to identify the exact jumpers to set
on some weird cards I
had to use.

There were no racks - everything was on the floor or on boxes in the room.
I stacked the routers on
the floor and cabled them together right there.

All this was in August, 1993.

        -tcs
unsnip