Yep all steps you stated have been covered, but Employees will be
employees.
What can I say?

-----Original Message-----
From: Elijah Savage III [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 3:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ICQ and blocking the thing-PIX [7:52285]

ICQ now has a web based version also, just go the web put in your ID and
your on. Now being devils advocate I am aware of the trojans and viruses
that get spread on ICQ, but if it is not interferring with work progress
then why such the hassle. It seems as if your burning more cycles trying
to block it when it almost seems to me that this is a loosing battle.
The only recourse I think you have is to go to HR with your security
plan have them put this in your computer ussage policy for work and then
brief everyone of the employees why this is a no no. I have sniffed the
web version with sniffer pro and it looks to me it strictly uses port
80.

But just by blocking it and I do not know if you are notifying anyone or
if this is in your security poilicy it just seems like you're a loose
renegade on the network to implement your own security policy which will
tick people off. I think if you take my approach above and people
understand why your are doing it then it is less likely to turn
whirlwinds into a hurricane of upset users especially if it was allowed
in the past.

NO BASHING please :) you may have took these steps already then if so
the only thing to do is report them to HR especially if it is causing
problems for you on the network and putting business assets at risk.