In a complex organization ( complex not meaning size or number of
departments, but in the way people need to work ) one might consider third
party applications such as Web Sense.

A couple of comments below:

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

""Roberts, Larry""  wrote in message
> Try my approach..
>
> Tell people no and put it in your security policy. They violate the policy
> they get fired..

CL: that assumes that 1) the policy will be acceptable to management  2) the
policy will be enforced by management  and 3) you have the luxury of being
able to fire people for whatever reason you deem fit, trivial or otherwise.
Even in today's bad economy, companies may not have this luxury.

> Oh wait a minute, I think that goes along with cut-off desktop internet
> access I guess.

CL: like it or not, internet access at the desktop has become one of those
intangible fringe benefits, right up there with using the photocopier for
personal business, using the telephone for personal business, using the fax
machine for personal business. When was the last time someone got fired for
making persoanl phone calls at work? Or photocopying their tax returns at
work?

> Its is a VERY effective deterrent though don't you think ....

CL: sure - IF management enforces it, or even agrees to it

> Or I guess you could also just route your home subnet ( not just your
single
> home IP ) to Null0.
> I have found that effective of blocking sites when I don't have the
ability
> to walk around and see what people are doing...
>
> Trust me, for every way you can find out, I can find a way to block it. We
> may play cat and mouse for a while, but I never tire of it...

CL: works really well until the person you block is some Senior vice
President, or one of the top sales people ( read - revenue producers ) in
the company, and makes the claim that the service is absolutely necessary
for success on the job. That's why this stuff has to work at a policy level,
and cannot nor should be considered a matter for firewall administrators to
deal with.

CL You gots to know your organization.

> Thanks
>
> Larry

Linux
> platform.
> I can
> pretty much do whatever I want without being spied by anyone at work
because

> the SSH tunnel is encrypted. I can go online shopping, chat with my
friends
> without having to worry about having my conversation being recorded. There
> is no way for you to stop me because unless you cut off Internet access on
> my desktop
> completely.
>
> "Mears, Rob" wrote:Hi Cisco gods,
>
> I have successfully blocked all chat services at the PIX firewall, I
think.
> As I walk around and find people using MSN or Messenger I find that public
> proxy they are using and kill it too. BUT, I am having a hell of a time
with
> ICQ. I do have all the ports UDP and TCP blocked so it does not work
UNLESS