Chuck's Long Road wrote:

> I'm putting in some rack time to review certain QoS features.
> Configuration
> is not really a problem. MQC makes this really easy :->
>
> However, I am attempting to observe results, and I am finding
> that I am
> unable to make bad things happen, such as packet drops.
>
> I am pinging from three different routers on a token ring to 3
> other routers
> via a 64K frame relay. The router that bridges the token ring
> and frame
> networks has the policy configured.

You would have to exceed 64 Kbps for drops to occur, wouldn't you? Do you
have any idea how much bandwidth you're using on the Token Ring side? What
does show int show for load?

I'm thinking you'll need to do more than ping. The problem with Cisco's ping
is that it doesn't let you specify how much time between pings, sometimes
called an interval. The timeout value is for unsucessful pings. But what you
need is a configurable interval  between the sending of pings, successful or
not. A real operating system or real ping tool would let you do this. ;-)

Ping in the MS-DOS prompt on Windows doesn't have this either, at least not
the version I'm using. But ping under UNIX does, although it may not let you
set the interval low enough. Some UNIXes have a -f (flood) option that will
let you really whip the pings out. And a ping utility would let you do that
too. For example, I use iNetTools from WildPackets.

Are you trying to consume bandwidth just by using router tools or could you
use a host also? Then there are many more options, of course.

Hmm, what are some other ways to consume bandwidth by just configuring
router options. Gazillions of SAPs? Gazillions of AppleTalk networks with
RTMP? Can you FTP or RCP stuff to and from the routers?

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com