""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Chuck's Long Road wrote:
> >
> > I'm putting in some rack time to review certain QoS features.
> > Configuration
> > is not really a problem. MQC makes this really easy :->
> >
> > However, I am attempting to observe results, and I am finding
> > that I am
> > unable to make bad things happen, such as packet drops.
> >
> > I am pinging from three different routers on a token ring to 3
> > other routers
> > via a 64K frame relay. The router that bridges the token ring
> > and frame
> > networks has the policy configured.
>
> You would have to exceed 64 Kbps for drops to occur, wouldn't you? Do you
> have any idea how much bandwidth you're using on the Token Ring side? What
> does show int show for load?
>
> I'm thinking you'll need to do more than ping. The problem with Cisco's
ping
> is that it doesn't let you specify how much time between pings, sometimes
> called an interval. The timeout value is for unsucessful pings. But what
you
> need is a configurable interval  between the sending of pings, successful
or
> not. A real operating system or real ping tool would let you do this. ;-)

CL: I finally was able to get some bad things to happen.

token ring domain---- border router ----- frame relay domain

I just started pinging from both sides, over an extended period of time. To
judget from the result, given the rudimentary configurations, it takes a
minute or two for the rate limits to apply. There is an "average" traffic
rate.

three routers from each domain pinging the other side, packet sizes 1500
bytes,  and I lowered the timeout value to 1 second from the default two
seconds. By the time I added the sixth router's traffic, everybody started
timing out. It took a minute or two for traffic to start going through again
after I stopped traffic from a router or two. I'll have to look into the
defaults more closely.

There has got to be a better show command than the "show policy-map
interface etc" for this.

Back to the docs.