John,

Cisco's 25xx series uses the AMD Lance Chip for their 10Mbit
Ethernet Interface. This Chipset does not support full-duplex at all.

Router#show controllers ethernet 0
LANCE unit 0,....
^^^^^

Have never used a 2516 myself but as far as i know it has a simple 10Mbit
Ethernet Hub built in. FullDuplex Operation would require a switch.

Regards

Reinhold