Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> sam sneed wrote:
> >
> > this is about the comment
> >
> > " You'd get a link but lots of collisions, eh? The half-duplex
> > side would
> >  receive while it was sending, because the full-duplex side
> > would send
> >  whenever it wanted. In other words, the 2500 side would report
> > collisions,
> > assuming there was enough simultanesous traffic."
> >
> > I hooked up a 2501 eth0 to a 3548 set to full duplex and speed
> > 100.
> > Interestingly the link light on the router lights up but no the
> > switch.
>
> That's probably because of the speed mismatch not the duplex mismatch?
>
> In some cases you can get a link light and think everything is fine, when
> actually there are problems due to a duplex mismtach.

Only a speed issue, not a duplex issue.  When the 10/100 side is hard
set to 100Mb so that it doesn't negotiate nor autosense, and the other
side is a legacy 10Mb/half interface, then the 10Mb side will get a
false link indication.  The 100Mb fast link pulses produce enough
energy in the band where the 10Mb interface is looking for them, to
fool it.  The 100Mb side will correctly show no link.  The tip off is
that the 10Mb side sees zero valid input frames in its counters.
The 100Mb transmitter appears to be forever streaming.

- Marty