From: sam sneed [mailto:vristevski@;hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: full duplex or half duplex, how can you tell [7:57431]

this is about the comment

" You'd get a link but lots of collisions, eh? The half-duplex side would
 receive while it was sending, because the full-duplex side would send
 whenever it wanted. In other words, the 2500 side would report collisions,
assuming there was enough simultanesous traffic."

I hooked up a 2501 eth0 to a 3548 set to full duplex and speed 100.
Interestingly the link light on the router lights up but no the switch. The
switch sees the total link down and would not even bother sending. I plugged
it into an auto-neg port and it obviously worked. Here is the output from
switch.

Cisco3500-3#sh int fa0/17
FastEthernet0/17 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0002.fd45.4b91 (bia 0002.fd45.4b91)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 0 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1y40w
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
     0 packets input, 0 bytes
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred