That was correct. I changed the speed to 10 full duplex and got the link a
both sides.
I just thought it was odd that one side(router) had the link light on but
the switch didn't.

Cisco3500-3#sh int fa0/17
FastEthernet0/17 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0002.fd45.4b91 (bia 0002.fd45.4b91)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Full-duplex, 10Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX