Thanks.  But this doesn't really answer my question.  I realize
that area 0 is partitioned.  I'm not looking for an answer to
"is there a rule that prevents this", but instead, "what breaks
if ABR_1 were to consider routes learned via a non-area-0 summary
LSA in its computation of it's routing table?"

Note, I'm also not asking why ABR_1 should not flood ABR_2's
summary LSAs into ABR_1's area 0.

So back to the scenario:  all routers in area 1, including
ABR_1, receive summary LSAs from ABR_2 which contain the routes
from ABR_2's area 0.

All non-ABR routers in area 1 will process the information
injected by ABR_2's summary LSAs.  These routers will install
these routes into their routing table.  These non-ABR routers
will not realize there is an area 0 parition and will have
reachability into both.  (I've not tested this, but believe
this to be true.)

Since ABR_1 is an ABR with a backbone connection, it's not
allowed to:

- forward information from ABR_2's summary LSAs into it's area 0.
- consider any routes found in ABR_2's summary LSAs as candidates
  for insertion into its routing table.

My question is, what breaks if ABR_1 was to use the information
found in ABR_2's summary LSA and put these into it's routing
table?

Note, it is possible for an ABR, which does not have an area 0
connection (hence it's an ABR between 2 or more non-zero
areas) to consider and use summary LSAs in it's route
installation process.   (see Zinin's "Cisco IP Routing",
page 491; and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-abr-alt-05.txt)

Thanks