On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 08:04, p b wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Went back and read through some of the relevant parts of
> the RFC.  I believe there is no routing loop issue if an ABR
> was to consider summary LSAs received from non-zero areas.
> (where "consider" means install routes from these type 3s.
> "consider", above, does not mean propogate the summary info
> into area 0).  I believe this would maintain the DV properties
> of the OSPF two-level hierarchy because the ABR would not
> re-originate the information that was already re-orignated
> at another ABR.

A subtle point here.  Type 3 summaries, when sent inter area, are not
flooded, but regenerated.  The ABR generates them by looking at routes
in the routing table. Hence, if the ABR put routes in the table from non
backbone type 3's, those routes would be prone to readvertisement into
the baackbone.

> In fact, if the ABR did install routes based on the non-0 summary
> LSA information, better paths to destinations might be possible.
 However, since the ABR doesn't advertise these better paths
> (remember, no taking non-0 summary info and sending into area0)
> these better paths are not visible to the backbone area.

Can you give an example of this?  If all ABRs send accurate summaries to
the backbone, from the backbones perspective, routing should be
optimal.  The only time it becomes less is is when the ABR coalesces
information

  The
> result with an ABR using non-zero summary information in its
> routing table is that some intra area0 traffic might unexpectedly
> transit a non-zero area.  "Unexpectedly" here means that the
> area0 SPF would compute a path to the destination, and from
> the SPF perspective, traffic would remain on area0.  But when
> the traffic hit the ABR, it might forward the packets over
> the non-0 area as that's a better path towards the destination.

Ok, I'm losing you a bit here.  Maybe an example would help.  Forwarding
decisions in OSPF are either source to destination, source to ABR, ABR
to ABR, or ABR to destination.  In all of these cases, the source and
final or intermediary source shared an identical LSDB from which they
will calculate similar SPF trees.  Hence, there shouldn't be a case in a
stable network where two nodes in the same area find a different best
path through the area.  In the Area 0 case, assuming the traffic is
destined to a non-0 area, the ABRs simply forward that traffic to the
nearest ABR, upon which all ABRs should agree with the exception of
multi-abr areas whos ABRs will not be able to forward back toward the
backbone due to route preference.  This might be more confusing than
your paragraph though ;-)

> A virtual link is the mechanism to "formalize" the use
> of a non-0 area for transit.  The benefit of the VL mechanism
> over the thinking above is that a VL allows routers in area0 to
> be cognizant of the non-0 area as another way to reach destinations
> in area0 and thus include these costs into it's LSDB and SPF calcs.
>
> Compare an ABR including summary LSA information in it's routing
> table (what I've been asking about) and an ABR at the end if a
> VL.   How is the routing information received at this ABR
> different?

The virtual link allows LSAs to flood through the non-backbone area.
These LSAs allow the backbone area databases to remain identical for all
routers in the area which is a necessity for link state protocols.
Breaking this will more than likely lead to routing instability.
Certainly in some basic topologies, you might be able to relax some
rules and still provide stable routing, but the question is, what are
you gaining with this topology?

> Consider two ABRs:  area0----ABR1----area1----ABR2----area0
>
> If the paritioning of area 0 gives ya the willies, assume
> they're connected together.  It really doesn't matter.

It matters entirely as you either have backbone LDSB synchronization or
you don't.

> Consider ABR2.  It will see type 1-5 LSAs from it's area 0.
> If ABR1 and ABR2 had a VL between them, ABR2 would pass all
> of these LSAs, intact, to ABR1 over the VL.

Not quite true.  ABR2 will not flood type 5 LSAs over a VL.  However,
since area 1 is not a stub, ABR 1 would see the type 5's anyway.

  ABR1 would be able
> to use area1 to send traffic to ABR2's area0.
>
> Assume there is no VL between ABR1 and ABR2.  Instead, ABR1
> learns about ABR2's area 0 via type 3-5 LSAs from ABR2.  Well,
> type 3 LSAs are really the info found in type 1-2 LSAs but
> with just the RID information reflecting ABR2 instead of the
> originating router's RID.

In your simple topology, this might work ok. However, your topology is
simple.  I've never really thought about the behavior you describe,
mostly because I can't see where it makes sense, but I could imagine
lots of control loops, particularly in areas with multi-abrs.  When
networks transition, you'd likely run into counting to infinity issues
which OSPF doesn't really have a mechanism to deal with (ie hop count
limits etc).

> So, I (still) don't see an issue if the ABR behaved as described
> above.

Again, not in your simple topology as far as I can tell.